Finding a House

Normally there are two ways of acquiring a home: by purchasing or renting. In the case of purchase, the contract of sale is registered publicly.This means that the contract is signed before a notary public and it is then registered at the Land Registry. In the case of renting, a private document is usually drawn up between the two parties, in which the proprietor must register and place the deposit arising from the contract with the Bizilagun service.

Housing can be private, state subsidised or public. There is a public service for the rental and purchase of social housing (it can be accessed by registering with (Etxebide) as well as private estate agents

Further information

Housing purchase guide

Public assistance for accommodation
Public or social housing

Public aid is available for the purchasing and renting of housing. To avail of public housing aid in the Basque Country you must be registered on the Basque Country Housing List "ETXEBIDE". The housing application must include basic information about the family members who are expected to live in the new dwelling.

The procedure is the same in all cases and the application should be renewed every four years.

All those who request housing in Durango make up one list, which includes the offers made by Durango Town Hall in the town as well as those offered by Etxebide in selected municipalities.

Type of protected and public housing options
  • Buying a new house (two procedures).
  • Buying a used house.
  • Purchase of housing at a fixed price.
  • Renting a protected dwelling.
  • Renting a social dwelling.
  • Renting of used accomodation - BIZIGUNE PROGRAMME



Public housing aid can be applied for at Etxebide by any person who:

  • Is over 18 years old, or is an emancipated minor.
  • Is registered.
  • Provide evidence of minimum income and which must not exceed the maximum income.

Data are checked by the Authorities.

  • Has not obtained protected accommodation over the two years preceding the application, except in the case of rented accommodation.
  • In the case of foreign nationals it is essential to have valid authorisation of residence. If wishing to choose the option to purchase, the authorisation must be long term.

    Municipal Grant for Renting for young people

    Durango Town Hall offers financial aid for young people aged 18-35 who are renting or who wish to do so. It is a grant offered annually and the requirements vary every year. Information is available and applications for these grants can be made at Citizen Advice Service (S.A.C).

    Grants for housing renovations

    Grants are available for the renovation of housing interiors (change of windows, improvement of the utility installation, electricity, gas, heating, etc...). If you are a householder and you need to improve your dwelling, information is available and an application form can be downloaded from the web page Etxebide Information is also available at Durango Eraikitzen.